Twimbit had posted a poll a couple of weeks ago. (slido.com, #twimbit)
The question we had asked was – What is the biggest dilemma you are facing at work today?
An overwhelming 53% of our respondents are grappling with two key dilemmas at the workplace of today.
The first, ‘not enough learning at the workplace’ is something we shared our insights on last week.
The second, ‘your company not being able to adapt to digital times’ is the inspiration for this particular insight.
Why is your company not able to adapt to digital times?
You are driving on a long stretch of a free highway.
No, this is not a horror story.
It’s a normal day in your life.
On that drive, it just happens that due to a technical glitch, the streetlights are flickering for a 5-mile stretch.
Flickering streetlamps illuminating the highway!
Welcome, digital transformation.
The highway is your business. Each lamppost a business process, handshake, stakeholder and a node in your business infrastructure.
Each flicker of the lamppost gives birth to light, shadows and mirages as an outcome.
As you manoeuvre all the horses under your hood through each lamppost, you can’t tell the difference between the light and shadows created from one to the other.
It’s all interconnected. Flowing into, with and for each other.
That’s digital transformation for a business.
When every aspect of your business is integrated with the use of technology. To deliver real-time and on-demand decisions. Collective insights and foresights that help you understand your business, customer (destination(s)).
But what allows this integration to happen?
Well, it’s the two critical dimensions of Data and Co-ordinated networks.
Every aspect of your business has to be Datafied through software. So that your algorithms can continue getting smarter while automating business decisions. The ‘smartness’ of these algorithms needs to flow through your entire business whose many modules are connected in a network. This is what delivers exponential value.
A wise one asked “but what if the streetlights are not flickering at all”?
It’s still the same.
The light from one is seamlessly integrated with the other.
OK, so where do we start?
5 Key steps for digital transformation
- A Vision for the ages
- Are you clear about your current reality and desired state?
- How can we disrupt our legacy and create exponential impact? Read more here.
- Are you leading to enable or to manage?
- From People to Networks
- Collaboration and Interactivity across platforms
- Value creation for the customer
- The best technology talent
- From Process to Data
- Are you unifying your processes? Read more here.
- How will you datafy your organisation?
- What structure will serve you best?
- From Technology to Platforms
- Are we only focusing on digitalisation?
- An ecosystem that enables service providers, partners, customers and business
- Is our strategy a fixed plan or is it continually improving?
- Measure the right KPI’s
- What inferences are you making from the metrics?
- Where do you store them and how do you learn from them?
- Are you design thinking your business model, products and services?
Digital transformation is not just investing in new tools, technologies and building apps. It is something that assimilates every aspect of your business.
Like a drop of ink in a glass of water.
Seamless and full of purpose!